Sunday 1 November 2009

Last Clinical Day

Sorry about time between the last blog and this one - I have been really busy and the past two days has seen the Server down! My last clinical day is on Tuesday prior to going down to Newcastle for my operation - no lifting etc (including washing up?) for 6 weeks which will take us nicely to Christmas and Hogmanay.

I continue to receive many emails (and phone calls) each day from therapists all over the world asking practical questions on some of the touch therapy methods I've devised. It continues to be one of the greatest joys of my life in giving advice to other therapists either at a distance or in a workshop. I have stated now for very many years that acupressure is NOT a watered down version of acupuncture and that it can be much more powerful when used effectively. Why then don't more people practice it? I personally think acupressure and other touch therapies are natural extensions of one of our core modalities in physical therapy, namely massage. When I trained in the late 1960's, massage was one of the most important disciplines in physiotherapy - now it is almost forgotten as an undergraduate study and has to be learned at post graduate level - how crazy. Physiotherapists generally do not know how to use touch and tend to treat their patients at a distance with exercise or electro therapy. There are many reasons for this - lack of time, too many patients or lack of scientific approval (NEXT BLOG!!) to name just three. I intend to carry on these themes over the next few weeks - interlinking with more light hearted stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment