Thursday 19 November 2009

Treat the patient - not the condition

The type of therapy that I have pioneered over many years is very effective. That is not just me being big headed - it comes from scores of my patients and my workshop delegates. I try to make it crystal clear to everyone, though, that this therapy is NOT a cure all and that it is the patient/client who is treated not necessarily the disease or condition.

None of us can cure the uncurable!! If the dis-ease process within the patient has already reached the point of organic or neural irreversible anatomical or physiological change, then all we can do, as caring practitioners is to help support the patient by attempting to make their life easier. We cannot play God. Also, a minor percentage of people actually do not want to improve - for whatever deep seated reason, they need their dis-ease.

This train of though takes me back about thirty five years when Andrea and I started to attend Wrekin Trust meetings and mingle with people who, shall I say, had both their heads and feet in the clouds! When we approached people to ask what they did, the reply was often 'I am a healer'. Yuk!! Many of these people were genuine caring souls, but did not have a clue when it came to the many boundaries that therapy is based upon. All practitioners have an obligation to their clients and patients not to attempt any form of treatment, be it physical therapy or something more esoteric until they have a sound knowledge and expertise of their chosen therapy. The first law of natural medicine that was coined by Hahnemann, based upon Hippocrates is 'Firstly do no harm'. Sadly, due to ignorance of medicine, this basic premise is often compromised.

No comments:

Post a Comment