Sunday 30 January 2011

Gratification

Almost the end of the interminably long month of January - Spring is just around the corner!! I always was a 'half full' as opposed to 'half empty' man. In the Highlands and Islands today we are now back to the seasonable norm - wet and windy. The ice and snow was sooo unusual, we hope that it is the end of that stuff until next year.

When I first started on the road of being a professional therapist, one of the first things that was imprinted on my brain by one of my mentors was that of not worrying about money!! He told me that if my heart was pure and if I treated my patients with honesty and humility then I would never go short. Although there have been times in my life, mostly due to being unable to work because of illness, that finances have been very low, I have never lost sight of the ethos of giving for the sake of giving and not just for reward. Of course we all need to live and to survive, but one should never, ever work in any type of medicine just for monetary gain.

I don't write this blog or answer questions on the 'All Experts' web site for personal gain. I certainly do not write books and articles for personal gain - unless you are a J.K. Rowling there is no money in being an author. I am pleased to do it. I gain satisfaction and gratification from colleagues writing and telephoning to thank me for the pleasure they have had in reading my replies to their questions or by reading my books. This is worth more to me than any financial reward. Similarly it has always given me a buzz to see practitioners express their innate gifts during workshops that I run.

On the subject of books - I am now writing the Light Touch Reflextherapy book and well into the second chapter. It is to be a short and user friendly tome to augment the workshop and to help the thousands of therapists who work with foot reflexes in seeing their art in a different way. My first workshop of the calendar year is near Glasgow on 19-20 March on this topic.
All the best - JRC

No comments:

Post a Comment