Thursday 6 January 2011

New Year Grumpy

As it is very early in the new year, I thought I would get off my chest a few 'grumps' and pet hates, mostly linked to television viewing- let me know if any of you agree with me. I could be that I am just a grumpy old man and am the only person in the world who thinks like this - I doubt it though.
  1. Like most people I like to watch sport on the TV. If I miss it live, I like to watch edited highlights or replays. Why do the TV companies insist in playing mind numbing pop music to accompany the replays - music wasn't played in the original, so why add it afterwards??
  2. It seems to me that at the commencement of most drama, travel, documentary or serial the viewer is subject to snatches of what is about to unfold over the following hour or so -WHY? I realise that it is to whet our appetites, but often it is just the best bits that are shown, so it is a waste of time watching the programme as you have already seen it!
  3. Similarly, at the end of the show, next week's highlights are shown!! Is there no suspense any more? Why are we treated as morons and having the memory of a goldfish?
  4. Humour has gone downhill in amazing leaps and bounds over the last decade. I can just about put up with canned laughter, but humour has descended to the lavatorial to such an extent that it has now become the norm. Nothing is 'subtle' anymore in situation comedy. Having served in the armed forces for several years I became used to the so called 'barrack room' humour, but I don't want it pushed down my throat via the television.
  5. Of course we are all supposed to tow the line when it comes to being politically correct (PC), but when did we start to call actresses actors? Aren't they proud of being female? I have the honour of being Chairman of a national committee. I am NOT a Chair PERSON, and I am certainly not a CHAIR - that is for sitting on!! PC gone mad!

Let me know if some of these strike a chord. - Happy New Year - JRC

No comments:

Post a Comment