Friday 1 January 2010

Weight

Happy new year to all the Cross Patch readers - hope you have been taking the advice about Nux Vomica for hangovers!! I don't drink so rarely have to take the stuff. We still have nearly six inches of compacted snow here but it is due to reach 3 degrees C today so the big melt is on!!

Apart from stopping smoking and cutting down on booze, I guess that many folk's new years resolution is to try and lose weight! My excuse for being overweight at the moment is that I haven't been able to exercise following surgery and we are eating up all the 'naughty but nice' goodies we had for Christmas. Its my excuse and I am sticking to it. I think I read somewhere that more people weigh themselves on their bathroomm scales on new years day than any other day of the year. It is a good thing to do just to get a benchmark weight. The following advice about losing weight may be very common sense but I proffer it just the same.

1. Only weigh yourself once a week - not every day, and always at the same time of time - mornings are preferable as we all weigh more later in the day.

2. Make the goals of losing weight REALISTIC. One or two pounds a week is about right.

3. You have to want to lose weight - not just play at it. Have a committment strategy and a positive mindset - it is mostly in the mind!!

4. If I knew the answer to weight loss, I would not be writing this blog in the freezing cold of the Isle of Skye but would probably be swanning it on my yacht in the Med. ( Oh I don't know about that one) THERE IS NO ONE SINGLE DIET THAT COVERS ALL SITUATIONS. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.

5.Most authorities agree that crash diets are usually a waste of time - the quicker you lose - the faster the weight returns. One inescapable fact is that if you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight. This comes from a combination of moderate exercise and eating the correct foods.

Next blog I shall start a series of 'teach ins' on touch therapy and bodywork.

Hope the headache eases soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment