Wednesday 6 January 2010

Pre treatment routines

As with the rest of the UK, the snow and ice remain very bad here but we are hoping to get out tomorrow to do some shopping. It is a good job that I am not working clinically because of my surgery recovery as patients would not be able to reach me!! The bitter cold weather has lured mr. fox to our croft looking for food and we have lost 4 hens and a duck. Andrea is devastated. We managed to get the remaining terrified poultry into their houses this evening before dark set in.

I am often asked at a workshop 'How do you protect yourself' from negative 'vibes'. The nature of our type of work with hands on energy medicine can leave us very vulnerable if we do not take adequate precautions. It is generally not the case that clients and patients are malevolent creatures who go out of their way to harm us - of course they don't! It is just that when you deal with sick people who want to off load their troubles and woes in verbal and emotional ways, it is wise not to suck in the outpouring of grief. I have known of at least three excellent practitioners who thought that this was all gobbledegook and, sadly, they paid the price. The following may help you.

1. Do some kind of routine before every patient - no exceptions! It doesn't matter if you have seen them a hundred times before or you are not using obvious energy medicine.

2. Always wash you hands between patients, firstly with hot water and soap and follow this with cold water.

3. The silent routine will take no more than a few seconds. I imagine that I have a protecting bubble around me, rather like a gold fish bowl. I then silently say a few words of asking for protection. You do not have to have any faith or religion and it doesn't have to be a prayer or incantation.

4. Always have your feet firmly on the ground during a treatment session - literally

5. This one is the most difficult - try not to empathise with your patient too much - you have to be caring and yet stay aloof. This takes practice and experience. Remember that at the end of the day you should feel as refreshed as you do in the morning. Try not to let your guard down if you are getting tired.

6. I am always astonished when I hear that the therapist has taken the patient's pain away by transferring it to themselves! DON'T DO IT!!!!

7. Do not treat any more patient's in the day than you are capable of doing and, above all, never, never, treat someone if you are not well yourself! Yes - I know that we are all wrecks, I mean if we have a bad cold or flu etc.

I hope that this helps - let me have some feedback if you think that anything has been omitted.

1 comment:

  1. Hello John! I love the insights and tips you share on being a therapist. I am currently learning physiotherapy, and am also working towards combining this with energy healing. Thank you so much for blogging on this. =D

    ReplyDelete